Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ecclesiastes 2:1

In these times of struggle

with the economy and people losing jobs

depression and suicide rates increase

that may be a given to most of us,

obviously when we are struggling with bills,

and just living in general, then depression and suicide will

rear their heads. However even in times of plenty

they will appear as well.


I'm sure everyone has heard the expression

"Money doesn't buy you happiness"

and to be honest when I hear that

I just think:" I dunno...I think it would make me pretty happy

if I were to get a million bucks"

but you see that is not the point,

sure you would be happy with a big paycheck

or if you just won millions of dollars

but the thing is, life isn't about things

you'll only be happy for so long.

Once you become so use to having a lot of money

you'll only want more and more and for what?

a bigger house? bigger tv? bigger boat? new cars?

they're just things...things we can't take with us

The problem is in todays media

and just the worlds mindset in general

we are raised to think life is about money...

it's about you and what makes YOU happy.

Don't get me wrong...i'm not saying if I won the lotto

or a crap load of money fell into my lap

I wouldn't be happy, what I am saying

is if I let it consume me and I put money above God..

it's only going to become a burden to me.


Lets take someone like Kurt Cobain for an example,

people look at him and wonder why he killed himself,

I mean he had it all right? he had people

eating up anything he said...he had money...he had fame..

and while there was obviously drugs and others things involved

the main thing is... money couldn't buy him happiness,

and neither could fame. The fact is Kurt Cobain

didn't even want the fame in the end or so he claimed,

Cobain reached the top he crafted something new in music.

Cobain was searching for the point of it all,

what is life about? Once he made the top. he probably thought

is this all there is? I'm suppose to be happy right?

but he wasn't happy. because what does a man gain

from all his labor at which he toils under the sun?

as it says in Ecclesiastes.


When people make there life about wealth and success..

what happens when they reach that goal of theirs? what happens

when they become so huge it was beyond

what they even thought they could be?

When they truly ask "Is this all there is? and what's the point"

all you've earned all you work hard for it's all just going

to get passed down as you are forgotten.

If we don't put God first nothing and I mean nothing

in this world will ever make us happy.

Am I saying people who don't put God first

can never smile or feel happiness?

no..I'm saying they will never be truly happy

they will never be fulfilled.

They will just keep searching for the next big thing.

We were created in Gods image right?

and what is Gods image?

who is God?

what is he like?

Will to be short and sweet about it God is LOVE,

God wants to give love freely but at the same time

also receive love. Don't all of us in the end

want love? Can you love money?

sure you can but can it love you back?

Who or what is the only thing that can Love

you more then you could ever imagine,

more then the sand on the sea shore?

I believe thats God right?

God is the one in the end who allows happiness right?

money..pleasure happiness it's all meaningless

unless we know the giver.

Through trusting God and putting your faith in him

all things are possible.

God will never let you down...never leave you...never forsake you

never say "I don't even want to talk to you"

God is always there for YOU!

us as... human nature screw up...

we let each-other down we fight with eachother

but God is always just plain and simple...

LOVE


Take a look at what Ecclesiastes says about

wealth and accomplishments and putting

them above God...


I thought in my heart, "Come now, I will test you with

pleasure to find out what is good." but that also

proved to be meaningless. "laughter," I said, "is

foolish. And what does pleasure accomplish?"

I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly

my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to

see what was worthwhile for men to do under heaven

during the few days of their lives.


I undertook great projects: I built houses

for myself and planted vineyards. I made

gardens and parks and planted all kinds

of fruit trees in them. I made reservoirs

to water groves of flourishing trees.

I bought male and female slaves

and had other slaves who were born in my house.

I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone

in jerusalem before me. I amassed silver and gold

for myself. and the treasure of kings and

provinces. I acquired men and women singers,

and a harem as well-the delights of the heart of man.

I became greater by far than anyone in jerusalem

before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me.


I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;

I refused my heart no pleasure.

My heart took delight in all my work,

and this was the reward for all my labor.

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands

had done and what I had toiled to achieve,

everything was meaningless, a chasing

after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.

Ecclesiastes 2:1-11


No comments: