Friday, January 16, 2009

The Hypocrisy Debate

You know what I hear all the time that annoys me?
 "If you are a christian you have to live this way...or that way....you can't do this...and you can't do that.." 
I'm so sick and tired of this world and it's hypocrisy that I just have to blog about it. More importantly I'm really sick and tired of the supposed "Christian" telling people how they have to dress or what kind of music they can and cant listen to. I say this all the time, but I'm going to say it again, don't we have enough problems in this world? do we as "christians" really have to fight about stupid and pointless things?

Let me start with this little debate... 
"If you are a Christian you can't listen to rock music/heavy metal because that is the music of the devil" 
seriously? I mean seriously? just because you may not understand something, or just because it doesn't look/sound how your little mind perceives what a "christian" should be, does not at all mean it is wrong. People with that point of view just gives real followers of Christ a bad name. Are we as "Christians" of this world? nope...are we suppose to be different then this world? YES. You see that is the thing that these judgmental "Christians" like to throw in your face. 

"Well, it says in the bible that we are not suppose to be of this world. So why do you listen to that kind of music, music that is just a fad of your generation. How does that make you different from anyone else?"

How does that make me different? It doesn't to be honest, because it's just music. The problem is they themselves don't even understand the meaning of the verse's they throw out.
Lets take Romans 12:2 for example which says...

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-His good, pleasing and perfect will."

That is probably the one that is thrown in peoples face alot. But what does it mean? hmmm..Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world...what is the pattern of this world? OH! I KNOW! that must mean don't conform to the music and the clothing..YES! So now when we see a "christian" who listens to rock music and has tattoos and piercing..we know he is not following Gods will, and he is a sinner, and deserves to burn in hell forever. Are you freakin kidding me? yeah I said freakin..deal with it. You want to know what the pattern of this world really is? the pattern of this world is selfishness, The pattern of this world is anger and hate, The pattern of this world is jealousy, perversion and lust. If our minds are not clear, if we are not putting God before everything, if we are being consumed with worry, doubt and selfishness, then plain and simple we are following the pattern of this world. As a follower of Jesus Christ we are suppose to be different...i am not arguing that at all!

People should be able to look at us and know there is something different, and I don't mean we have to dress different. I'm talking they can feel Gods love coming off from us. As for being transformed by the renewing of our minds, what do you think that means? Once you know God, and you are seeking him...your heart and mind will be changed. You will know the truth, you will feel the love and want to spread it. Instead of your mind being focused on yourself, instead of your mind being focused on worry and stress it will be focused on God and his will(not that you never will worry and stress, it happens, but you get the point). The only way for you to know Gods perfect will, is not by listening to gospel music and dressing in a suit and tie, and if you think it is...then I'm sorry my friend.. you need to do some serious soul searching because you really have no clue. Want to know the way to be transformed? to know Gods perfect will? let me tell you..its real easy...JUST ASK! seek him with all your heart and soul, mind and strength, and by golly he will set you on the right path.

Now don't get me wrong here,let me state the facts. First of all, being of Christ, being a true follower of our Lord and savior in simple terms is a relationship. You have a relationship with Jesus Christ. It's not about some religious man made set of rules, but let me get to the point I'm trying to make. The point is..our relationship with Jesus Christ is not all the same, he loves us all the same, he doesn't love someone else more then another. BUT our relationships with him are different! so what's my point? Well, God could tell you he doesn't want you to listen to that kind of music, or dress in those types of clothes or befriend those kinds of people or marry that person..do you see where I'm going with this? Don't freakin judge what I do or someone else does, it's their relationship with Christ, and it is them who will face God in the end on how they lived THEIR life...not you. Does nobody remember the story of Hosea? God told him to marry Gomer someone who would turn out to be no more then a prostitute, even after she was sleeping with others, God said go and take her back as your wife. Is the story of Hosea about how God says it's ok to go out and marry a prostitute? NO..it's about one man following what God told him, following what was right for him. You see God could be telling YOU it's not right for YOU to listen to that music...or its not right for YOU to dress like that...OR its not right for YOU to have a tattoo. You just have it twisted, and think that means nobody can do those things.. =)

Now I know some of you can throw out other verses, and you can argue all day long about useless dribble, but let me ask you one simple thing. Is that what Jesus did? Would Jesus look at a Christian rock band who screams his name, and are covered in tattoos, and are reaching out to a generation you never could, and say "hmm...even though they are praising my name, those guitars sound evil, and they have tattoos. I'm going to have to condemn them" just think about it, and if you honestly can't get passed that, then I really have nothing further to say to you, because you are not of Christ at all.

You see I believe my God is big, I believe through Jesus Christ all things are possible. I believe that he works in mysterious ways, and I believe that God can speak through wailing guitars and guttural screams. If we are truly following Gods word, if we are seeking him on a daily basis, and putting him first above all things, then God is going to work through us. I don't know about you judgmental "Christians" but God is my rock, my savior, and he is in total control of my life. I know what is right and what is wrong. He speaks to me through his word, and he is that little voice inside that leads my life. I know God and I know me, and we are not going to judge someone by the way they look or by what freakin music they listen to.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite verse.

Luke 5:31
"It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but the sinners to repentance."


We should be happy that there are people out there that can reach out to this lost and depressing generation. We should be embracing the lost, and trying to lead them to Christ. Not pointing out every little flaw and condemning them, and being just what this world thinks we are, and that is total hypocrites. Because if you want to pick and choose your tattoo condemning verses like for example..

Leviticus 19:28
"Do not cut your bodies for the dead, or put tattoo marks on yourselves."


Then guess what "Mr./Mrs. holier then thou" you better be dressing like back when the bible was written. Men you better not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip the edges off your beard. Ladies you better not have pierced ears, and you better not wear jeans, and you better be dressed in a burka ...oh wait..thats not suppose to be taken literally right? just the part about the tattoo thing...

It's time to start standing up for Christ, and stop the devision between our brothers and sisters, and for God sakes grow up..




No comments: