Sunday, September 6, 2009

Skillet's "Awake" -|Album Review|-


Skillet's new album "Awake" takes everything

they did in Comatose and...well..

does the exact same thing,If your a Skillet fan, and you don't already have this,

I'd say go for it,

however if you are not a fan of Skillet..

this is not going to change your mind.

In my eyes most of the songs on "Awake"

sound like they should of been on "Comatose"...

nothing has really changed,

and I'm not saying anything is wrong with that.

The album starts off with the popular Christian radio single "Hero" it's catchy

and has that Skillet flavor...I.E cool riff

with a mixture of the female vocals thrown in.

This is where a slight improvement comes in

over "Comatose"


Guitars and drums and all that sound good and

are inline with songs you'd here on "Comatose"

but thats not an improvement obviously,

what is you ask? well..it's the female vocals that have been slightly upgraded,

and thats because instead of Korey

backing up John it's Jen the drummer who adds the female vocals. To be honest,

I think she sounds like Lacy from Flyleaf,

and how awesome is that? it's like you got

John with his great vocal talent being backed up by

Lacy from Flyleaf, can't think of it being much better

then that. although it's only in a couple songs..


"Hero" is the Skillet staple..it's skillet to the core. Skillet

seems to be always good at hooking you in with their first couple of songs..

"Awake" is no different as following the song "Hero" is "Monster".

"Monster" has a killer riff and the whole beat of the song is great, however

there is a flaw in my eyes with the song...while the lyrics

are not exactly amazing or even original,in fact they are on the cheesy side..

that's really not the problem I have with the song.

The problem I have with the song is.. the song gets real cheesy at 2:17

where the growl/guitar syth comes in and Ben says "Feel like a monster"

Now don't get me wrong I have no problem with a good growl

or a whole song with nothing but growls, but Skillet doing it?

and overall just the way it is done seems over the top and cheesy,

thankfully though it's almost towards the very end of the song.


Now "Monster" is followed by the typical Skillet third song,

what do I mean by that? it's simple...it's a slow poppy kind of song.

You see Skillet, like most bands out there, have a system

they seem to live by with their albums...it's rock your face off

with the first couple of songs then slow it down on the third.

The song is called "Don't Wake me" it's alright for what it is,

and it's one of those songs that I'll probably end up

listening to more often, but right now it's usually a song I skip passed,

and that might be because the fourth song "Awake and alive"

is by far my favorite song on the whole album.

It's got what I love about Skillet written all over it,

it's got the violins mixed perfectly with the guitars/drums..

it's got the female vocals and awesome strong anthem lyrics.

If you buy music on Itunes and you are looking for one song

to get from this album this would be it. The fifth song

"One Day too late" is another slower song much like "don't wake me"

there's really nothing that really jumps out at me as special.

The sixth song "It's not me it's you"

picks up the pace a little bit but it's really nothing to write home about.

The seventh song "Should've when you could've" kind

of goes right along with the sixth song as it's nothing very special.

The eighth song "Believe" is another slow Skillet song..

however it is a slower song that I actually like, the guitar work

in this song seems to really show the talent of Ben, this is

where he shines. The lyrics are great, but really Ben's guitar

work is the reason to listen to the song, and to be honest

the opening acoustic guitar work sounds a little bit like 3 doors down,

which isn't a knock at all. The ninth song "Forgiven"

has that Skillet piano/strings touch and catchy chorus

and it seems to be a song that grows on me the more I listen to it.


The 10th song "Sometimes" picks the pace back up,

and it is backed with a good riff and lyrics one of my favorites

on "awake". the eleventh song "Never surrender" seems to be

like this albums version of "The older I get" which again is a slower song

but it has it's moments. Finally there is "Lucy" which is another

ballad and it's kind of hard to judge it

because it seems to be directed to someone who has passed on,

and it is a beautiful song in memory of that person.


In the end Skillets "Awake" seems to be "Comatose 1.5"

it has it's moments, like I said nothing is really new..

and if you don't like Skillet this isn't for you, but for fans of Skillet

and their work, specially fans of the "Comatose" album

there really is no reason not to buy this.

There is is a solid amount of songs, I mean five good

song is pretty good for one album.

Personally though if you pop in Comatose after hearing Awake

you'll think why wasn't Awake/Comatose just one album,

I don't think there is enough in Awake that makes it stand above Comatose



I'm going to give "Awake" a 3 1/2 out of 5...

As again there is nothing that stands out...

that is really amazingly better then comatose..

in the end it's Comatose 1.5





No comments: