Sunday, December 20, 2009

Merry CHRISTmas!


















I'd like to wish everyone a very Merry CHRISTmas,
and I hope everyone enjoys their time with family
and friends, and that we remember what is truly
important.

Which is the birth of our Lord and savior!
(although most likely it wasn't during this month)
Usually I read the true Christmas story around this time,
you know Mary Joseph and the whole taboo subject
of the birth of Jesus Christ. I was reading Luke,
and after reading

In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree
that a census should be taken
of the entire Roman world.
Luke 2:1

The point of the census was so he could
see just how many people were in the Roman
world, and if they were growing or decreasing,
and the main reason would be for
taxation purposes.

For those who have to know every detail,
I figured ok? why not just find out
if there is any documentation on wether or
not Augustus really did do a census?
because I mean, I know a lot of things
in the New Testament/Old can be historically proven
by just looking at historical facts and documentation.

After reading a little bit I not only found out
that Augustus did a census but he did three of them,
I also got a headache because just looking up
the history behind one sentence in Luke
brought up hours of reading arguments and frankly
stupidity. If you are feeling frisky and want to
really dive into Augustus and the census's I
would suggest reading from a couple sites...

Now as we all know this world-wide census
brought Joseph and Mary to Joseph's hometown
of Bethlehem. A long trip for a pregnant woman for sure,
but thus Jesus ended up being born in Bethlehem which
thus fulfilled the prophecy that the Messiah would be born
in Bethlehem..

But you,Bethlehem Ephrathah,
though you are small among the clans
of Judah, out of you will come for me
one who will be ruler over Israel,
whose origins are from of old,
from ancient times.
Micah 5:2

Even though we are in these times of "political correctness" I.E
say what you want unless it has to do with Jesus Christ,
and even though this month was probably not
the exact month of his birth, Take the time
to remember what is important, take the time
to celebrate his birth. The meaning of CHRISTmas
has always been about GIVING and we have been given
the greatest gift of all...

God bless to you and yours..

No comments: